3 Fun Focus Dog Training Games
Did you know you can teach your pup to look at you (by default) for direction?
There are two types of ‘focus’ you can teach your pup:
- Put it on cue (say their name/or ‘look at me’ to get them to focus on you)
- Default attention behavior (teach them to randomly check in during distracting situations)
I have three fun (and easy) games to teach default attention behavior. You can check it out in the video below, or keep reading!
Game One — Reward for looking
- Drop a treat by your feet
- The second they look at you, mark the behavior (click/verbal marker) and drop another treat
Game Two — Learning to Come Back
- Toss a treat 2–3 feet away
- Wait for them to come back to you
- If they don’t come back try game one until the default attention is stronger
Game Three — Engage/Disengage
For this one you will need a small distraction — either a toy/play barking sounds on YouTube
- Make/play a noise that won’t scare them, but doesn’t get them too excited (away from you)
- Wait for them to look back at you
- Mark and reward them looking back at you
Originally published at https://lisagallegosonline.com on February 23, 2021.